Making Space for the Female Voice

Women are natural communicators. No one doubts this, really, and a quick, unscientific glance at the blogosphere confirms the female desire to enter into the conversation about important issues impacting our world. But why are so many of these bubbling female voices still running underground, or being siphoned off into their own little “women’s quarters” of Christian society?

For instance, I watched “Lord, Save Us From Your Followers” on Saturday. It was a funny, compassionate movie that all Christians would do well to watch.  But the next morning, it struck me: while several women were interviewed for the film, none of the Christian leaders, the ones who spoke more or less on behalf of the establishment (for better or for worse), were female. Even among people who are working hard for a more just society, who are talking about things like compassion and reconciliation and listening to others, the female voice was strikingly absent, or at least lopsided in the way it was presented.

I’m sure this was a simple oversight, but it’s an oversight that plays out time and time again. Too often, the established power structures don’t even think to ask for a female perspective, to seek out a healthy counter-balance in areas that have traditionally been the domain of men. And that’s too bad. Because when the feminine voice is muted, intentionally or unintentionally, we miss out on a lot of what God is trying to communicate to the world through his female image-bearers.

This is one of those areas that the Christian community is going to have to be very, very intentional about changing. (Sharon Hodde Miller, who is currently pursuing her PhD in Educational Studies at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, had some great thoughts about this on her blog.) Most women, especially Christian women, were raised to avoid being “pushy.” (The double-standard between “pushy” women and men who “take initiative” is a post for another day.) And men–well, men are just used to being the only people in the board room. That’s the way it’s always been, and they don’t know what they’re missing out on. What we’re all missing out on.

“It is not good for man to be alone,” and I believe that holds true for every aspect of human existence, not just our personal relationships. Women have an incredible wealth of wisdom, insight, and parallel perspectives to offer the world. There are treasures to be mined in Scripture that female eyes can spot much more readily than male’s, deep, untapped veins of gold still waiting to be unearthed. There are solutions apparent to third-world mothers that male heads of state would never think of. A healthy shot in the arm of female influence would inoculate our world against a whole host of devastating social diseases.

Did you know, for instance, that maternal and child death in the United States dropped sharply as soon as women got the vote? During World War I, more American women died in childbirth than American men died on the battlefield. Still, the male legislators didn’t see it as an important issue, until the suffragists made it one. In 1921, the suffragists pushed through the Sheppard-Towner act, and almost overnight, infant and maternal death rates dropped 16% and 12% respectively. By the time those babies were having babies of their own, maternal fatalities were down over 70%, primarily because of women’s ability to influence public policy.

Men and women need each other, and not just to create babies. We need each other to create the world God had in mind when he put us here, male and female, and told us to take dominion. To multiply disciples who will bear God’s image to the world. Imagine Barak without Deborah. Josiah without Huldah. David without Abigail. Apollos without Priscilla. Each man was willing to quiet his strong, powerful voice so he could listen closely to the softer voice of his female counterpart. Each was immeasurably better for it, as was society.

What do you think? How have you seen this play out? And how can men and women work together to create a better world, one more aligned with God’s kingdom purposes?

41 Responses to Making Space for the Female Voice

1. Tim October 24, 2011 at 10:23 am #

“… we miss out on a lot of what God is trying to communicate to the world through his female image-bearers.”

I think one problem is that for some Christians the idea that there are female image-bearers would be a bit surprising. I’m not saying that they would deny that women are made in the image of God, but that when they think of people being created in God’s image the image born in their own mind is of a male Christian. It takes effort for some people to see an image of woman as God’s image-bearer, despite the fact that the Bible says ” in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.”

What’s to be done? I think like all growth in the kingdom of God, this one starts with prayer. Like a lot of things I pray about, I need to embrace and not run from the opportunities God gives me to advance his kingdom. One practical step I take (as you may have noticed, JR!) is seeking out godly places on the internet where women are speaking about their faith. Seriously, if someone told me I could sit at Priscilla’s feet and listen to what she had to say I’d jump at the chance. And if there is a man who says he wouldn’t, my question to him would be to ask what makes him think he’s any better than Apollos (someone who was listed as a teacher in the same sentence with Peter and Paul for crying out loud!).

A friend of mine who attended a fairly conservative seminary told me about a conversation he had with the seminary president. That older leader said he thought American believers might find it surprising that women were not relegated to limited leadership roles in churches in other countries, and that the present state of women’s roles in American evangelicalism was a waste of half the church’s resources. He took this quite seriously, and said it was something the American church would have to answer for. With such thinking at that level of seminary education, is there hope for change? I am always hopeful, and that conversation is one good sign of it bearing fruit. God will build his church, sometimes despite our efforts to do it our own ways.

I hope this was not too much of a long ramble. You really got be thinking about the matter, JR. Nicely done.

• Jenny Rae Armstrong October 24, 2011 at 10:48 am #

“I think one problem is that for some Christians the idea that there are female image-bearers would be a bit surprising.”

And as usual, Tim, you nailed it. :-) (And yes, I HAVE noticed that you intentionally seek out spaces where you can hear women’s thoughts, which I think is incredible!) I do feel that God is on the move in this area, and am quite hopeful. I think as we begin to look outside our own nation, and interface with the suffering that is taking place in other parts of the world, what we’re personally comfortable with begins to take a backseat to what is the most practical, expedient way to bring Christ’s light to a broken world. Historically, from the early church to the mission societies of the past two centuries, that has included a massive mobilization of the women of God. And that’s a GOOD thing!!!

• Melody H Hanson (@melodyhhanson) October 30, 2011 at 4:57 pm #

I’d really be interested to know what seminary you were referring to, even if you email it to me privately. (melhhanson@yahoo.)

Even though I know it’s true I found your words shocking when put out there like this:

“…female image-bearers would be a bit surprising. I’m not saying that they would deny that women are made in the image of God, but that when they think of people being created in God’s image the image born in their own mind is of a male Christian. It takes effort for some people to see an image of woman as God’s image-bearer, despite the fact that the Bible says ” in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.”

Imago Dei — it’s sort of where I start when it comes to my identity in Christ.

• Tim October 31, 2011 at 12:06 pm #

Hi Melody. That was Western Seminary, and the conversation took place 15-20 years ago if I remember right. The elder seminarian, internationally known for his conservative scholarship, was decrying the fact that American evangelicalism often puts women in boxes when that cannot be supported biblically. I found it quite encouraging.

2. Tim October 24, 2011 at 2:51 pm #

Incredible? Hmmm, now I need to figure out if I’d rather be super fast, or super strong, or super stretchy or be able to do that awesome force field thing. Oh, who am I kidding? I’ll take them all!

Incredibly,

3. amywb October 25, 2011 at 9:33 am #

Fantastic piece! I hope many, many men and women hear what you are saying. Thank you for saying it!

4. Emily October 25, 2011 at 10:51 am #

Yes, yes, yes!!

Thank you for saying this so precisely. For the first time in my life, I’m excited about being an EQUAL image-bearer. And it’s beautifully written pieces like this that have helped me see God’s vision for ALL people just a little bit more clearly.

• Jenny Rae Armstrong October 25, 2011 at 11:15 am #

Thank you, Emily! I’m so glad you’re encouraged–I think many of us are catching the vision for what God wants to do in us and through us.

Back when my husband and I were in youth ministry, we used to tell the kids that the Holy Spirit living in them was no child. And I think women (and men) need to hear a similar thing as well–it’s God working through us, and God can do whatever he wants, through whomever he wants, however and whenever he wants. And he seems to enjoy flipping the world’s expectations on their heads. :-D

5. Sarah@EmergingMummy October 25, 2011 at 10:51 am #

Fantastic piece, Jenny. This is my first visit but I’ll be sticking around, i can see. This particularly grabbed me: ““It is not good for man to be alone,” and I believe that holds true for every aspect of human existence, not just our personal relationships.” Amen.

• Jenny Rae Armstrong October 25, 2011 at 11:24 am #

Thanks Sarah! Glad to meet you! I just popped over and subscribed to your blog–WOW, it looks like we have a lot in common (right down to getting married at 19)! “He gives rest to those he loves”–now, how to claim that? I’ll be pondering that for a while…

6. Joy @ Joy in this Journey October 25, 2011 at 11:52 am #

This is so well-put. I’ve been trying to put it into words myself. Thank you.

7. Kjersten October 25, 2011 at 3:24 pm #

Very well said. I am currently trying to find balance and effectively share in ministry, but it is hard to not come across “pushy” when you are a woman. My hope is that womens voices can be heard as passionate and purposeful so we can be used to further God’s kingdom.

• Jenny Rae Armstrong October 25, 2011 at 3:36 pm #

Thanks Kjersten! It can be hard to balance. It may come across as a bit random, but personally, I’ve found the story of Daniel to be incredibly encouraging and instructive. He dealt with a whole plethora of powerful people, many of them very hostile, with an incredible amount of grace, wisdom, and godliness. He didn’t lose his cool, he didn’t get offended, he didn’t back down on his principles, and he always, always treated people better than they deserved. Can you imagine saying “Oh King, live forever!” to someone who had destroyed your nation and carried you into exile?! And yet I get the sense that Daniel truly did love and care about King Nebuchadnezzar, and the others he came into contact with. He didn’t waste time fuming, and got down to the business of loving and leading and doing what God had called him to do right where he was.

Blessings, Kjersten! And may we all find that balance!!!

8. Sarah Wooten October 25, 2011 at 7:35 pm #

Hey Jenny:

I was having a particularly tough day today with lots of people wanting to tell me what to express, how to express, etc., etc. A friend of mine sent me this post and I am so, so glad she did.

This is a great article and raises awareness to an issue I have been dealing with my whole life. Welcome to the gender, right? lol

A question I would like to pose to you, and maybe have you ruminate on a bit, is how do we convince churches with a static hermeneutic that women have a voice and should be heard? BTW – I feel like such a big girl using the word hermeneutic. It just rolls off the tongue. her-men-uuuuu-tic.

Many people feel like that fact that women were not allowed to teach, be elders or pastors in the Pauline churches, and that should be good enough for churches now in the 21st century, but I don’t agree. I feel that we limit the Bible when we fail to apply a progressive hermeneutic in all areas, not just in the issues of levitical law and slaves and whatnot.

What are your thoughts? I currently am a bit stuck on this one.

• Jenny Rae Armstrong October 25, 2011 at 10:28 pm #

Hi Sarah,

Wow, way to start it off with an easy question! ;-) Hmm. Of course there’s no easy answer to that, or things would be QUITE different! (But you know that.) But I can share some of my thoughts/coping mechanisms.

My absolute favorite book on this topic is “Half the Church” by Carolyn Custis James. Seriously, it’s incredible. It goes completely beyond the gender debates and points out that it is NECESSARY for the sake of the gospel for women to mobilize–that that was, in fact, God’s plan from the very beginning. It’s a compelling book that both complimentarians and egalitarians love, and I’ve recommended it to many, many people. It can spur on some great and necessary conversations.

Regarding convincing people–I don’t think we’re EVER going to be able to convince people. I think people’s opinions are going to shift gradually, over time, as they see godly women using their gifts, and taste the fruits of those ministries.

That said, how does a woman who has been given a gift, especially a gift for communication, exist in structures that seem bent on limiting her???

I have had to essentially fast from media that seems to limit women. It’s not that I’m trying to ignore their arguments–to the contrary, I grew up with them, and know them inside out. It’s just that it hurts my heart too badly, upsets me, drags me down and makes me unproductive. When I had to slog through a book that was EXTREMELY diminishing for a class, I fortified myself with books that had positive messages–ANY of Carolyn Custis James’ books, “Blue Parakeet” by Scot McKnight, “How I Changed My Mind About Women in Leadership” with personal stories from TONS of evangelical leaders. (That last one is a really good one, BTW.) That kept me sane. Focus on the good stuff, the positive stuff.

I don’t know what your church situation is like, but that’s something to consider too. I go to a good-sized rural church that is pretty conservative, but because it is a rural church where we can rattle off not only how so-and-so is related to so-and-so, but how so-and-so’s dog is related to so-and-so’s, I am just their Jenny, who was carried into that church in a car seat and expects to be carried out in a coffin, and I am loved and valued for who I am. That, I am well aware, is an unusual blessing.

But I think that what I am getting at is that my church family knows my heart, knows that I love Jesus and love them, and they love me. If you’re NOT in a situation like that, and you’re continually getting negative messages, then maybe pray about how God wants you to proceed. Find a group that “spurs you on to love and good deeds,” whether that’s a different church or a “supplemental” group that encourages you. Even online communities or organizations like Christians for Biblical Equality can be really, really helpful–you know you’re not crazy, and you’re not alone.

So, to boil down my coping mechanisms:

-Surround yourself with positive people, books, and media that will spur you on to use your God-given gifts for His glory.

-Give yourself permission to avoid messages that make you feel anxious or angry.

-Carolyn Custis James. ;-D

-Love people, and live your life in front of them, chasing God’s expectations, not theirs. I mentioned Daniel in my reply to Kjersten–GREAT example. Don’t have an agenda for other people, except when that agenda is to love them and encourage them in their walk with Christ, and if they have any other agendas for you, do yourself and them a favor and don’t live into it–just release it to Jesus.

Phew, that was long! And rather rambling, but I hope it helps at least a little! If you want some more book suggestions I could send you those, too, but the three I mentioned are a great start.

AND, if you ever need a cyber-hug, just drop by. :-) Blessings, Sarah!

• Sarah Wooten October 26, 2011 at 9:44 am #

Hey Jenny:

I really, really, REALLY appreciate your answer – rambling and all. Thank you for your encouragement and references – I already requested the Carolyn books from my library. I laughed when I read the title of her book: Gospel of Ruth – Loving God enough to break the rules.

I loved the picture of your church – carried in the door in a carseat, expect to be carried out in a coffin. How beautiful. My husband is on staff at a conservative mega-church in Greeley, and while we feel loved and supported, it is easy to get lost in the crowd. I would say the staff does a pretty good job giving women a voice for the denomination, and I am proud of the way they wrestle with the issue.

There are definitely times in the past where I have felt ‘inferior’ and ‘less than’ because of my gender, but I think that it was worse for our mothers and will be better for our daughters, and that gives me hope.

I will definitely be back to collect that cyber hug. There are days I want to rant and cry, but I know that is part of the journey. I am just thankful there are women out there like you that are lending legitimacy and grace to the movement.

Continue to run the race my friend. :)

• Tim October 26, 2011 at 10:10 am #

If I may jump in, just a thought on the hermeneutic principles here. I don’t think it’s a matter of whether “women were not allowed to teach, be elders or pastors in the Pauline churches, and that should be good enough for churches now in the 21st century” and tha twe need to convince churches out of this “static hermeneutic.” Rather, the hermeneutics need to be focused on whether the Bible teaches that women were or were not intended to have leadership/teaching roles for the church age in general.

My reading of the Bible (along with some books by folks who have researched the subject) is that they were. We do not have an evolving hermeneutic, but the revealed will of God. Women and men are to teach, and women and men are to learn. The Bible says we can do this in any gender combination.

P.S. I get the willies whenever I hear someone talk about static and dynamic hermeneutics. God’s word is his reavealed will, and our God does not change. If I thought that the best hermeneutic was to interpret the Bible as saying only people over six feet tall could teach, I’d give up teaching in a heartbeat due to lack of the vertical qualification.

• Jenny Rae Armstrong October 26, 2011 at 10:32 am #

You’re right, Tim–women DID teach and lead in the Bible. That’s very, very clear. The fact that some people want to try to explain that away is discouraging. (I actually wrote an article about that for Mutuality a couple months ago–I should see if I can track it down.)

I don’t have a problem with dynamic hermeneutics, since of course our application will change with the times, and vary from culture to culture. But that’s just a linguistic thing–the real question is, what was God’s intent, and how can we best live that out in our culture, in our times? I don’t think that God’s intent was EVER to limit women–I think women’s struggle is part of the fall, and that those of us who follow Christ are supposed to live in the resurrection. But there are people who disagree with me (obviously).

• Sarah Tun January 5, 2013 at 1:05 am #

Revealed will: yes, I so get this. God doesn’t change but what we (collectively) understand shifts constantly. I recently had my book ‘rejected’ by a distributor because I made reference in my acknowledgement to Pastor Cynthia.
            The book wasn’t even read.
            We need so much more of God’s revealed will and less of human ‘shoulds’ and expectations.
            Blessings!

• Jenny Rae Armstrong October 26, 2011 at 10:22 am #

Well, here’s another cyber-hug right now:

It’s harder when your husband is on staff, too–easier to feel that your hands (and your tongue) are tied. I’ve been there. (Yep, I was carried in in a car seat and expect to be carried out in a coffin, but I’ve also been in and out my whole life, sent off for one ministry opportunity or another.)

Hang in there, Sarah! Maybe sometime when I’m visiting my parents in Denver we could get together for coffee, and I could give you a real hug. :-) You’re not alone, you’re not nuts, and your feelings are completely justified. It’s just figuring out how to cope with them that is hard!

• Jenny Rae Armstrong October 26, 2011 at 10:33 am #

Eek, my hugs are disappearing!!!

((((((hugs))))))

• Sarah Wooten October 26, 2011 at 10:59 am #

Oh no. Your hug came across loud and clear. Thank you.

I would love to get together for coffee or something like that. There is a nationally growing tribe of women that I am so blessed to be a part of – women that are strong, intelligent, funny, compassionate, and filled with vision and determination. I believe you are part of that group. I saw that you came on over the Sacred Misfit, which makes me feel like I am hanging out in my underwear because the place is still under development. But as it grows and evolves, I would love to have you on the blog roll and share your posts with my readers. I have women that need to hear your voice of reason and strength.

P.S. Love the dialogue Tim, and I love your heart. Though I have to disagree because I strongly believe in a progressive hermeneutic. God does not change but people and cultures do…thank you Jesus. I think I would have been hanged, burned, and decapitated if I had been born any other time. Thank you God for your grace.

P.P.S. Sometimes being a pastor’s wife, especially when you are the world’s worst, is very, very, VERY hard. I envy women whose husbands work in the secular realm, where their spirituality is not tied to their livelihood. It is hard and I appreciate so much your encouragement. Thank you.

• Tim October 26, 2011 at 11:57 am #

I completely go along with changing application as culture changes. My use of the word “hermeneutics” goes along with the definition at wikipedia: Biblical hermeneutics—refers to the study of the interpretation of written texts, especially texts in the areas of literature, religion and law. … [A] discipline of interpretation theory including the entire framework of the interpretive process and, encompassing all forms of communication and expression; written, verbal, artistic, geo-political, physiological, sociological etc.”

As JR said, perhaps it’s a matter of semantics on how we are each using the word. Thanks for the dialog, Sarah!

9. Janae October 25, 2011 at 10:09 pm #

I was raised to be a behind-the-scenes Christian woman. I still battle through the voices in my head (aren’t we all slightly schizo) to speak my own voice. I am so cautious at giving my opinion to Christians (males mostly but often females too). I am much more confident when I speak to those outside of the church.

The church structure needs to change, but I know that unless I risk now regardless of the lack of welcome, I will continue muting and doubting myself, while I over-analyze and under-initiate conversation.

Jenny (or do you go by Jenny Rae?) thanks for speaking up about this topic and welcoming conversation.

• Jenny Rae Armstrong October 25, 2011 at 10:36 pm #

Thanks for dropping by, Janae! (And Jenny is fine!) Ooh, I hear you–it’s easy for us introspective writer types to retreat, and keep those narratives locked in our heads. But in my experience they WILL find their way out, one way or another, at some point or another. It took me years to work through this for myself, and it’s still an ongoing process. I’m sure that to some extent it is for every Christian woman.

A book that really helped me was “In a Pit With a Lion on a Snowy Day” by Mark Batterson. (I’m realizing I’m talking a lot about books in this comment thread, but what can I say–it’s how I learn!) Realizing that it’s okay to step out, it’s okay to try, it’s even okay to fail. (Still working on that one!)

Thanks so much for dropping by, Janae!!! Blessings!!!

10. Sharon Miller October 26, 2011 at 1:25 pm #

Thanks for the shout-out! You are so right on! I also love the line about how it’s “not good for man to be alone.” I think this also reflects an anemic view of the church. 1 Corinthians 12 is a vision of inter-dependence, and that mutuality extends beyond household chores. Thanks for these wonderful thoughts!

• Jenny Rae Armstrong October 26, 2011 at 1:57 pm #

Absolutely–I LOVE your blog! Thanks for stopping by and commenting. :-)

11. Beth October 28, 2011 at 4:51 pm #

Jenny…this is awesome stuff. You are an encouragement to me every time I read your posts. Thank you for your insights.

12. Melody H Hanson (@melodyhhanson) October 30, 2011 at 5:10 pm #

Thanks for writing this. We have to keep raising our voices until things change. I wanted to add a couple of books that have helped me.

Beyond Sex Roles, Bilezikian
    Call Me Blessed, Faith Martin
    Taking Flight, Cynthia La Grou and Caleb J. Seeling, Editors

Honestly I have about three dozen more I haven’t gotten to yet. But it helps to surround yourself with this, as you say, and to help strengthen your voice.

Again, thank you!

• Jenny Rae Armstrong October 31, 2011 at 9:02 am #

Thanks for the book suggestions! I love Bilezikian, but had not heard of the others. Now you’ve got me thinking–maybe I need a “resources” page on my blog. Positive, thoughtful input is SO crucial, and sometimes the easiest way to get it is through books.

13. Valerie White November 1, 2011 at 11:46 pm #

Your thoughts on this blog echo the feelings and thoughts I have had on this matter for quite some time. Godly women need to stand up and re-claim feminism in the original meaning that it was born from. Not the hate filled, over sexualized image that it has become.

14. Rev Linda Troy November 16, 2011 at 1:05 pm #

Jenny, I love your article–just happened across it. Awesome!

As a female pastor serivng in a small conservative church where I am their first female pastor (in the United Methodist Church, bishops appoint pastors), I resonate with the challenges of serving a congregation that believes “women should not speak in church” (in fact someone in my church posted that 1 Corinthians passage on the bulletin board in church as a statement a few weeks ago).

As you point out, women are made in the image of God, there are many strong female leaders in the OT, the book of Joel says God will pourt out a spirit of prophecy on man AND women, Anna is described as a prophet who was waiting to see Jesus before she died, women were leaders in Jesus’ ministry, Mary Magdalene was a strong female leader among Jesus’ disciples, because of the witness of the Samaritan woman at the well (who may have had 5 husbands as a result of the Levite marriage laws that if a woman’s husband died, she was required to marry that man’s brother to produce offspring for the deceased man–we don’t know enough to judge her situation as is typically done), an entire village became believers (ie, she preached about Jesus to her village), Jesus appeared first to Mary M. and women after the resurrection and gave them the instruction to “go, tell” ie, to preach (but the male disciples they first talked to didn’t believe them–surprise!), Paul commends several female leaders in his openings and closings to his letters (Junia, Phoebe, Priscilla to name a few), women were leaders of the churches that Paul started (think Lydia and the women just named), and Paul, himself, says that in Jesus there is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, but all are one in Christ Jesus.

It is typcial that when women are assertive, they are labled aggressive, but when men are assertive, they are labeled “good leaders.” As a woman who has been called “aggressive,” I appreciate Tim’s comments and interest in this topic because it is when men, who have the power culturally, lift up the role of women that change will take place. Yes, women need to claim their voices, but we also need male colleagues to be championing for the female voice alongside us. The males in my congregation are more likely to listen to a man talk about women’s role in the church than they are to me–it’s just a cultural fact.

Thanks for writing and encouraging us all. I, too, am grateful for a group of clergywomen sisters to share my journey with–and for my male colleagues who “get it” and stand alongside us. I don’t know what it is like to be a pastor’s wife (although my husband knows what it is like to be one of the few male clergy spouses and how that affects his role in the church as well as not having a group to be part of as a clergy spouse), but I believe we as clergy and clergy spouses benefit when we stand together and support each other.

God bless you!

• Jenny Rae Armstrong November 16, 2011 at 4:17 pm #

Thanks Linda! I’m so glad you found the post encouraging! I love that you mentioned all those women in your comment–I really believe one of the best ways to defuse objections to women in ministry is to look at what women actually DID in the Bible. Many would find it surprising.

Blessings to you!!! Feel free to drop by the blog and chat anytime!

• Sarah Tun January 5, 2013 at 1:10 am #

You have so clearly hit a hot spot, Jenny. God set us free through His son so that we could be all He created us to be.
        It’s tough when we feel persecuted for our gender.
        Thanks for opening an important issue and for sticking it through for all the readers.
        I just found you – through Tim’s blog.
        Blessings for 2013.

15. akash January 28, 2013 at 4:21 pm #

I would also like to point out that as women got the vote and entered congress the debt also rose!!

I obviously not against women voting – and their opinions need to be shared/heard- but you assume that women only give good to society and can never cause harm -which is a wrong assumption.

Also if men only want men in their leadership and it works for them it is good-why mess with it?!

Also a woman does not have to work/be in leadership etc to influence decisions

many of these Godly men have wives that they listen to, and you will be amazed at how women at lower ranks can influence people

• Jenny Rae Armstrong January 28, 2013 at 4:31 pm #

Well, I don’t assume that women only cause good. They can cause plenty of harm as well, as can men. But let’s turn your thoughts around for a minute.

If women only want women in leadership and it works for women, why mess with it? After all, many of those godly women have husbands, and it’s amazing how much men of lower rank can influence people.

You probably wouldn’t like a system like that. Because it would be unjust. Because men would be kept in a state of complete dependence. Because it would limit men’s potential. Because it would make men vulnerable to all sorts of abuses.

Because it’s just plain a bad idea, whichever way you slice it.