“What Will You Do After Seminary?” A Female Grad On Becoming a Pastor by Suzanne Burden I will graduate on May 11, mere days from now… Which is why so many are recently asking: “What will you do after seminary?” In return, I often respond with an ironic, sad little smile. But I am not the […]
Archive | friday favorites RSS feed for this section
Why I can no longer defend women in ministry by Steve Holmes I have defended the ministry of women in the church in public for a while now, including on this blog. I don’t think I can do it any longer. Not because of any lack of calling or gifting in their ministry, but because […]
What’s slavery got to do with it? This long but fascinating article, written by a Christian lawyer who left Gothardism as a young adult, shows the connection between the Christian Patriarchy movement (led by people like Bill Gothard of Institute in Basic Life Principles, Jonathan Lindvall of Bold Christian Living, and Douglas Phillips of Vision […]
Rachel Held Evans wrote a fabulous follow-up to my post about John Piper and gender roles, in which she calls the whole mindset exactly what it is: legalism. Some of the comments are incredibly thought-provoking too (as per usual). “Legalism is destructive, certainly. And it is often absurd. Framing gender stereotypes as God’s will turns […]
The Scandal of the Evangelical Heart This is a gut-wrenchingly honest piece. It’s hard to read because it claws at the carefully-armored defenses we’ve erected around our human hearts of flesh. But this–THIS–is why so many people walk away from the church. How could God (fill in the blank)? And how could Christians, or any […]
Is Marriage Really an Illustration of Christ and the Church? This could TOTALLY be an Equally Yoked post, only Rachel got it first. 😀 It’s a great, in-depth post about Christian marriage. I once believed that God intended my marriage to be a picture or illustration of Christ’s relationship with the church—a shining beacon of […]
This post blew me away, in the best possible way: “The Gay Community, and That One Time Jesus Called Me the N-Word.” “There is someone that I love even though I don’t approve of what he does. There is someone I accept though some of his thoughts and actions revolt me. There is someone I […]
Adrian Warnock has written an interesting blog post that lays out some of the common positions Christians hold regarding gender roles in the home and in the church. While it is a basic overview that just skims the surface level of each belief, and will doubtlessly leave people in each category wishing he had expained […]
All week I’ve been thanking my lucky stars (and, erm, God) that I don’t live within 150 miles of the now-infamous poultry sandwich establishment, and that most of my far-North friends have no innate loyalty to the Southern chicken chain. For me, the ugly, aggravating, and to my mind incredibly stupid debate has played out […]
I haven’t had time to peruse a lot of blog posts this week. And most of the posts I did read were from bloggers I discovered through Rachel Held Evans’s #Mutuality 2012, which I featured in last week’s Friday Favorites. Part of the reason I’ve had so little time for blog-reading is that my husband […]
I never did get around to posting my Friday Favorites for this week, but each and every one of them (and then some!) are on this list! Rachel Held Evans has been hosting the Mutuality 2012 synchroblog, and the articles have been AMAZING, to say the least. She’s included links to all 188 of them […]
A collection of some of my favorite reads of the week: “In Which I’m No Angry Feminist” by Sarah Bessey. This post made me cry. When it comes to advocating for women, I’d say there are three primary motivators–intellectual integrity, justice, and empathy. My swollen, weeping mommy-heart squeezes into the folding chair next to Sarah […]
Author, speaker, and mommy of four, living on coffee and lots of grace. Pastor at Darrow Road Wesleyan Church. Student at North Park Theological Seminary. Passionate about justice, mercy, and the "one anothers."
Sign up to receive a free eBook!
2015 Evangelical Press Association “Higher Goals Award,” Medium Article category
2012 Evangelical Press Association “Higher Goals Award,” Freelance Article category
2012 Evangelical Press Association “Higher Goals Award,” Critical Review category
2012 Associated Church Press “Best of the Christian Press,” Feature Article category
2011 Associated Church Press “Best of the Christian Press,” Feature Article category
- 50 Shades of Broken: Why Do Women Fantasize About Abuse? June 18, 2012
- John Piper, Women in Combat, and How Gender Roles Fall Short of the Glory of Humankind February 6, 2013
- How Much Money Does it Take to Be A Good Christian Woman? June 11, 2012
- Faking It: Why You Should Stop Treating Your Husband Like a Toddler, and ACTUALLY Respect Him. January 23, 2013
- Asking for a Friday FAVOR! What Do You Think Belongs In a Book About Mutual Marriages? February 22, 2013
- “Motherhood is such a perfect spiritual path”: An Interview with Catherine McNiel August 20, 2016
- “There is Nothing Spiritually Neutral About Motherhood”: An Interview with Bronwyn Lea August 13, 2016
- My Book Baby Birth Story, Part 1 August 8, 2016
- Don’t Hide Your Light GIVEAWAY! July 27, 2016
- Baseball, Beatitudes, and Being a Disciple. July 23, 2016
- Sara Ronnevik: I ordered your book last night! Happy release day!...
- Lacey Louwagie: This is awesome! Congratulations, Jenny. :)...
- fiddlrts: Nice to hear I'm not the only one to cram a bunch...
- Dorothy Greco: So happy for you Jenny! Celebrate well....
- Rhonda Franz: Hi, Jenny. I'm a fellow Redbud writer (new this y...