Hagar’s story is really hard to read. There’s so much tragedy, and so much injustice, much of it perpetrated by people who were supposed to be followers of God. But it’s also an important story, because it shows that God cares about the suffering of those society has used and cast aside. That he sees the humanity of people […]
Archive | gender RSS feed for this section
I got more exciting news about the Called Out curriculum that I wrote today! Eliya and Consoler, who serve in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, shared that Called Out, CBE’s youth curriculum, is being considered for public secondary schools… Tanzania’s Youth Patron, who supervises children’s Christian education, recommended Called Out to their multi-denominational Christian Council. Soon, they will vote […]
Sometimes, when there’s a lot to be done and life seems overwhelming, I wonder if the work I am putting in is worth the cost (which, I will not lie, is high at times). And then, by the grace of God, I get emails quoting teenage girls from East Africa: “Ever since, I knew that […]
Today’s guest post comes via the ECC Commission on Biblical Gender Equality. Corrie Gustafson is an ordained minister currently serving as an interim chaplain at Punahou School in Honolulu, Hawaii. She is the Pacific Southwest Conference Liaison for Advocates for Covenant Clergy Women (ACCW) and a Regional Coordinator for Advocacy for Victims of Abuse (AVA). […]
Today’s guest post is from Dominique DuBois Gilliard, a graduate of North Park Theological Seminary where he also served as an adjunct professor, and comes via the ECC’s Commission on Gender Equality’s blog. How does one best care for marginalized people, those who have been isolated from community, stigmatized by society, and even neglected or […]
1 Corinthians 11 may be one of the most confusing passages in the New Testament. What’s all this “headship” stuff about (and how can God be the head of Christ, if Christ IS God)? Do men represent “the glory of God” better than women? What’s all this talk about long hair, short hair, shaved heads, […]
Last night was one of those nights when it feels hard to breathe; when you want to rage and cry and fight and scream and sob. Nothing was wrong in my little circle, but make no mistake, things were, and are, very, very wrong. For the past week my newsfeeds have been lit up with […]
The #YesAllWomen hashtag, where women share their stories about the everyday harassment they endure and worse, is trending on Twitter. You should absolutely check it out. This is a repost from 2011, minus the first paragraph referencing an old news event. Sexual harassment is very, very real, and Christians need to find ways to deal […]
Last week’s Women in Ministry series tackled Ephesians 5, and the common misconceptions it has led to. What does it mean for a husband to be the “head” of his wife? Is submission only required of the wife, or of the husband as well? What does this have to do with Christ and the church, […]
Author, speaker, and mommy of four, living on coffee and lots of grace. Pastor at Darrow Road Wesleyan Church. Student at North Park Theological Seminary. Passionate about justice, mercy, and the "one anothers."
2015 Evangelical Press Association “Higher Goals Award,” Medium Article category
2012 Evangelical Press Association “Higher Goals Award,” Freelance Article category
2012 Evangelical Press Association “Higher Goals Award,” Critical Review category
2012 Associated Church Press “Best of the Christian Press,” Feature Article category
2011 Associated Church Press “Best of the Christian Press,” Feature Article category
- 50 Shades of Broken: Why Do Women Fantasize About Abuse? June 18, 2012
- John Piper, Women in Combat, and How Gender Roles Fall Short of the Glory of Humankind February 6, 2013
- How Much Money Does it Take to Be A Good Christian Woman? June 11, 2012
- Faking It: Why You Should Stop Treating Your Husband Like a Toddler, and ACTUALLY Respect Him. January 23, 2013
- Asking for a Friday FAVOR! What Do You Think Belongs In a Book About Mutual Marriages? February 22, 2013
- The Best Things to Give Up for Lent February 10, 2016
- Wilderness: The Place Between Breaking Free and Breaking Through (Audio Sermon) February 8, 2016
- Stop Saying Satan is Attacking Someone’s Ministry February 1, 2016
- Hagar, the Disenfranchised, and the God who Sees. A Sermon. January 30, 2016
- Trophies for Everyone! Why I’d Rather be a Participant than a Champ. October 12, 2015
- Jenny Rae Armstrong: Love you too Auntie Gloria!...
- gloria williams: Good article.usually I try to give something up, t...
- good man gone bad: Women don't really want to be abused ? really so ...
- Jenny Rae Armstrong: You know, I had honestly never considered it from ...
- Nicole T Walters: Oh Jenny, yes. I had people tell me similar things...